JobSeeker was a massive corporate handout, Tasmanian Liberals don't want to frighten the kids, and the government gives millions of dollars to gas miners (with Labor's help).
Politics of envy
- The 2020 JobSeeker program handed out millions of dollars to prop up record corporate profits.
- Scott Morrison is “not into the politics of envy”.
- Independent MP Rex Patrick pushed for a bill to force companies to reveal information showing if they really needed the Jobkeeper grants. Labor backed down.
- Jaquie Lambie accused the Labor party of “slapping the little person”.
Don’t frighten the children!
- The Tasmanian Liberals voted down declaring a climate emergency, saying it was “scaring the children”.
Flooding the sub-basin in cash
- The Liberal party have granted $50 million for gas exploration in the Beetaloo Basin.
- Two of the companies funded have links to tax havens and Russian oligarchs.
- The third company, Empire Energy, received $21m. Empire Energy has close ties with the Liberals.
- Complained the the grant process was corrupt, but still voted to allow it.
- Traditional owners were cut out of the grant processes.
Meanwhile, in the private sector
- BHP is slashing value from it’s coal assets.
- Origin Energy is trying to get out of coal.
- Angus Taylor’s “CoalKeeper” plan is going to increase electricity prices by $400 per household, per year.
- For the first time, Australia generated more solar energy than coal.
- Australia’s Bureau of Meteorology has been gagged from talking about climate change.
- Support the fundraiser for Beyond Bricks and Bars — a trans and gender diverse decarceration project.
- Solidarity with the truck drivers striking against uberisation of the industry.