On the pod this week: stealing valor, cringing out of our skin, Scott Morrison's climate spin and children used as political pawns.
Thanks to special guest show-notes author, podcast host Tom Lang.
Anzac Biscuit Day
- Anzac day is becoming increasingly iffy, and the kids just aren’t feeling it any more.
- The government loves to pay lip service to the troops, and then turn around and do things like lend money to veterans using their pensions as collateral, and then not restore the pension after they pay it back.
- This is the inside of Evie’s mind on Anzac day.
- Did we mention Ben Roberts Smith won Father of the year back in 2013? ALLEGED sorry ALLEGED father of the year.
I non-consensually drink your milkshake
- The government tried to make an education program about consent without using the word “consent”, which went predictably poorly.
- Alan Tudge, the relevant Minister, has so far not gone to jail for anything, and is newsworthy for a variety of reasons, including alleged bullying.
- The Safe Schools program, which tackled LGBTIQ+ issues and other important topics of sexuality and identity, outraged conservatives and was ended in most areas except for Victoria.
- Scott Morrison apparently hated existing sex education programs so much that he sent his daughters to a private school.
Happy Corporate Greenwashing Day
- It was Earth Day on the 22nd of April, which was originally started among the civil rights movement in the 60s.
- Environmental Journalists like Emily Atkin from Heated can tell you about the corporate greenwashing festival this day has become.
- Scott Morrison thoroughly embarrassed the nation at the Climate Leaders Summit, with a classic combination of incompetence, spin, and lies.
- Even fluffy morning TV show host (and alleged father of the year) Kochy called Angus Taylor on our pathetic climate targets.
Kristina Kerscher Keneally’s Kaptive Kid Korner
- The notorious KKK visited the Tamil Asylum seeker family that was deported from their loving community in Biloela. They’re currently being held indefinitely on Christmas Island.
- She wrote about her experiences, but be warned, this is coming directly from a politician whose party was instrumental in the laws that have resulted in this family being detained.
- It’s easy to check her personal voting record.
- She’s previously
dogwritten on how migrants will take our jobs.