We're joined by James Clark of the Tomorrow Movement to discuss Joel Fitzgibbon and why he's on the side of fossil fuel billionaires, not the workers he claims to represent.
- The Labor party are holding the Special Platform Conference on the 30-31st March 2021.
- Labor takes lots of money from the fossil fuel industry.
Fire Joel Fitzgibbon
- Joel Fitzgibbon’s brother Mark is the head of health insurer NIB, and in 2009 used Joel’s ministerial office to lobby the ADF to buy insurance.
- Mark Fitzgibbon has also lobbied for the scrapping of Medicare, and allowing private insurers access to medical records.
- Joel Fitzgibbon was a key figure in destabilising Julia Gillard’s leadership.
- He also believes someone earning $250,000 a year isn’t wealthy.
- During the 2019 bushfires in Australia, Fitzgibbon met with Matt Canavan and the CEO of the World Coal Association, then wrote an Op Ed saying people shouldn’t be upset at him because there’s a crisis on.
- Fitzgibbon has joined Craig Kelly’s “friends of coal” group.
- Joel Fitzgibbon formed the conservative Labor OTIS group, and lobbied for Labor to drop climate targets from their platform.
- He also attended a cocktail party with BHP, Chevron, Coal21, ENI and Exxon.
- Brain-worm host Gerard Henderson wrote a conservative media “Watch Dog” blog in the voice of his dog for the Sydney Institute.
- Joel Fitzgibbon thinks that Labor party should take cues from the Liberals and John Howard.