We're back in lockdown again, the government still loves fossil fuels (but hates workers) and hybrid cars are a trick to lock us into using petrol.
Victoria has the COVID again
- We’ve got this.
- Poor nebuliser guy.
- COVID spread from a quarantine hotel worker to their housemate who worked at an airport Brunettis.
- A man is stranded in the Spirit of Tasmania terminal.
- Behrouz Boochani — “The border is part of Australia and it reproduces at home”
- Scott Morrison says he won’t take over hotel quarantine.
Fossil fuel good, workers bad
- ExxonMobil has announced the closure of its Altona refinery.
- Labor minister for Climate Change Joel Fitzgibbon — “…we need to commission new opportunities to extract more crude oil”.
- Matt Canavan — “To rebuild our refinery capacity we have to find more oil”
- Matt Canavan says he would cross the floor to vote against a net zero target target by 2050.
- Michael McCormack — “We are not worried, or I’m certainly not worried, about what might happen in 30 years’ time”
- Barnaby Joyce — “Quite a high proportion will have passed away… that’s the only thing certain about 2050”
- Matt Canavan thinks that the government should “do whatever it takes” to keep the mining industry going.
- During the COVID pandemic, more than 17000 jobs have lost from universities.
- The United Workers Union recognises that fossil industry workers need a just transition to new work.
- Australia is very reliant on imports of petroleum from other countries.
- Angus Taylor, “Minister for Energy and Emissions Reduction” really wants to lock Australia into using petrol, even with hybrid cars.
- The Prius is lumpy, sorry for perpetuating petro-masculinity.
- Electric cars are getting better and better as the energy grid gets cleaner.
- Labor went into the 2019 election with a plan to get to 50% electric vehicles by 2030. The Liberal party attacked them as wanting to “end the weekend” and “kill the ute”.
- We could’ve had an electric root van.
Hunting for vaccines
- Health Minister Greg Hunt has put Liberal party logo on announcements about vaccines.
- ABC’s Michael Roland asked Hunt a question on this. Hunt accused Roland of “identifying with the Left”.
- The ABC has given journalists notice they could be sacked if they Tweet wrong.
- in July 2020 Greg Hunt tweeted an infographic questioning the use of face masks.
- Listen to Auspol Snackpod’s episode on Craig Kelly.