We chat about Australia's bushfire/covid/storm situation, then a deep dive into why exactly Eddie Maguire should quit (he did), followed by a check-in with cooked unit Craig Kelly.
Australia is on fire
- Perth has massive bushfires, with at least 86 homes lost.
- COVID lockdowns and evacuation orders make for confusing mixed messages.
- Fire, plague and storms.
- Kangaroo Island is on fire, threatening the little Pigmy Possum, which was feared lost after devastating the 2019-20 bushfires.
Eddie McGuire corner
- Eddie McGuire is a weird little freak with a long history in Australian media and sports. He is currently the president of the Collingwood football club.
- Former Collingwood player Héritier Lumumba’s complaints about the culture of racism at the football club sparked a report, which was finally leaked on February 1st (PDF Link).
- Read along with Tweet-thread horror of Eddie’s press conference.
- Eddie says Collingwood can’t be racist because the larger wing of the club has asian netball players.
- Around the time of the internal release of the report, Eddie Maguire announced his “retirement”.
- Eddie supported Collingwood football coach Nathan Buckley after he made insinuations about Héritier’s mental health.
- Premier Dan Andrews reckons Eddie stepping down is poor leadership.
- The Project had Héritier on to grill him on his racist treatment. They’ve since removed the episode.
- In 2017, a documentary about the racism that Héritier Lumumba has faced was released.
- Between the recording of this segment and the release of this episode, McGuire has quit.
- The Australia Open went into lockdown for a day.
- The Quarantine hotel workers has a party with 60 people to celebrate the end of Australian Open quarantine, sparking fears that the infected person caught or spread it there.
- Craig Kelly is big on Facebook, and is a totally cooked unit.
- Kelly went on conspiracy-addled celebrity chef Pete Evans’s internet show.
- Scott Morrison finally told Kelly to keep a lid on it.
- Labor member Ged Kearny called Kelly a “dangerous fool”.
- Labor’s Tanya Plibersek and Craig Kelly had a Parliament House corridor showdown.
- On the same day the Julia Gillard made her famous “misogyny” speech, she threw thousands of single mothers off parenting benefits and into poverty.
- Following a report into cross-burning nazi meetups in Australia, the Labor party moved a senate motion to condemn far-right extremism.
- After amendments, it was watered down to be completely meaningless. It was passed anyway.
- George Christensen posed with a gun, asked “greenie punks” if they’re feeling lucky, then called it a joke.
- Peter Dutton insists that ‘leftwing lunatics’ must be dealt with.
- Shoutout to We Are Hughes, who trying to unseat Craig Kelly.
- Listen to a great interview with Héritier Lumumba on friend-of-the-podcast Vocal Minority, and read his interview in Junkee.
- Listen to Floodcast, it’s good.