We enter the Sexism Zone, then chat about coal-lover Joel Fitzgibbon leaving the Labor front-bench. For dessert we discuss successul petitions and a (hopefully!) big new push for social housing in Victoria.
- Turns out government ministers Alan Tudge and Christian Porter are mega mondo sleazes.
- This is in violation of then-PM Malcolm Turnbull’s “bonk ban”, following Barnaby Joyce’s affair with staffer Vikki Campion.
- Rumours of Barnaby Joyce’s affairs were circulating for months before factional enemies provided evidence.
- Vikki Campion says the “bonk ban protects no-one”.
- Alan Tudge voted very strongly against gay marriage.
- He has also engaged in “criminal conduct”, not releasing a refugee in detention after being ordered to by court.
- Gladys Berejiklian called for changing the National Anthem from “we are young and free” to “we are one and free”.
- Scott Morrison mansplained an answer directed to Families and Social Services Minister Anne Ruston.
- Oh, Anne Ruston who says that the government’s budget is good for women, because women drive on roads?
- Joel Fitzgibbon has quit his position as Labor’s shadow minister for resources.
- Fitzgibbon is a fossil-fuel loving climate denier.
- Joe Biden’s election in the US is making Australians politicians consider that perhaps they should consider mentioning the existence of the climate.
- Or maybe Fitzgibbon is taking a swing at Labor leadership.
- Joel Fitzgibbon inherited the seat of Hunter from his father, Eric.
- The coal mines in the Hunter electorate produce terrible air quality for the residents.
- Georgina Downer absolutely cannot get elected in her father’s former seat.
- Greens Senator Sarah Hanson Young successfully tabled and won a vote on a Senate inquiry into Murdoch media.
- Rudd got into a shitfight with the Greens on twitter, then begrudgingly thanked the Greens tabling of the motion as “Labor and the minor parties”.
- In 2012, there was another review into media diversity, which was not acted on by Labor government at the time.
- Kevin Rudd is the godfather of the Australian’s former editor-in chief Chris Mitchell.
The only way to solve homelessness
- The Victorian state government has pledged to spend $5.3 billion on expanding social housing.
- The government has a track record of pledging to build things and not doing so.
- It’s possible to talk about two things at once (climate deniers hate this one weird trick).
- For the love of god stop this shit.
- Victorian Parliament voted for a Green New Deal… let’s see what happens.
Read some pieces by friends of show:
- Jim Malo on why white journalists need to STFU and stop platforming nazis.
- James Clark of No Turning Back on Joel Fitzgibbon’s appeasement of the fossil fuel industry.
- Nicholas Daniel on the Australian Labor party’s right-wing poltics.
- Include traditional place names if you send mail! After a campaign by Gomeroi woman Rachel McPhail, Australia post is now accepting tradition place names on envelope addresses. Find the country you live on here.