The government ignores the IPCC report and the floods. Warnie ruled though.
Fucking around / finding out
- The second part of the 6th IPCC report has been released. This one is about the social cost of climate change.
- UN President António Guterres: “I’ve seen many reports, but nothing like the new IPCC climate report, an atlas of human suffering”.
- The government response: Ignoring it.
- Except for Pauline Hanson, who’s happily denying that climate change exists.
- On a plus side, Victoria has announced a massive new offshore wind project to replace our aging coal plants.
Floodcast (not that one)
- The flooding in Queensland & NSW: It’s real bad.
- The Lismore Maccas, completely underwater.
- The government has $5 billion sitting in a federal disaster fund, and just isn’t spending it.
- With local media closing, the ABC running on a rapidly shrinking shoestring budget, people are stuck without news that talks to them.
- But it’s okay, Peter Dutton has started a GoFundMe to help out.
- Dutton recently won $35,000 in damages for a defamation case against refugee activist Shane Bazzi.
- Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk: “Let’s face it, it is climate change. I have never seen so many natural disasters”, but followed with… “Queensland is lucky, we have coal, we have gas”.
- Shane Stone, head of Australia’s disaster relief agency, vacillates on climate change, and blames residents for wanting to “live amongst the gum trees”.
- Cricketer Shane Warne died early Saturday morning.
- He also had some good takes on climate change. “I think we all have to admit now that climate change is a huge issue… Scientists with proven facts are telling us things we can’t dispute about the rising temperatures, the rising sea levels”