With climate disasters looming, we pick apart the Labor party's anaemic response. Then we chat about ideological cuts to the ABC and the right-wing media's take on Victorian Covid spikes.
- Labour party leader Anthony Albonese has indicated he is willing to give up on pushing for climate action from the Liberals.
- Chevron’s carbon capture project Gorgon… didn’t work.
- Lang was right about Gorgons though.
- A National Audit Office report concludes that the Morrison government has failed it’s duty to protect the environment.
- 80% of federal environmental approvals were non-compliant with regulations or contained errors.
- Australia’s Reserve Bank has warned that inaction on climate change will cause GDP to drop 25% by 2100.
- The Government has cut funding from renewable energy research at CSIRO.
- …while the ABC makes cuts to the national emergency emergency broadcasting that was essential to saving lives during the 2019-20 bushfires.
Shorts in the arctic
- Temperatures reached 38° degrees in the Arctic this week, the highest ever recorded.
- Warming poles means more extreme weather all over the world.
Cutting the news
- The ABC has cut 250 jobs, and the flagship news bulletin, after losing almost a billion in funding since 2014.
- ABC Executives are still taking multi-million-dollar salaries and payouts.
- Scott Morrison insists that there are no cuts.
- ABC management is moving to sell their main headquarters… then rent it back?
Talking about distance
- Victoria is experiencing a second spike in Covid infections.
- The Victorian government’s crisis communication subcontractor was only asked to use languages other than English on Monday.
- The conservative media has been desperately trying to push a “BLM Bump” theory to case increases (unsupported by the facts).
- Now the conservative media wants to place the blame on immigrant families, with articles like “Diversity and death”.
- The COVIDSafe app has 6 million downloads, has been used to detect zero cases.
- Join the call to raise the age of criminal responsibility from 10 to 14.
- Wear a dang mask when you go to the shops.