We get real nerdy on this one. First we discuss the socialist and feminist history of Monopoly that Hasbro has erased, then dive into the source code of the CovidSafe app.
- Anneliese van Diemen, Victoria’s Deputy Chief Health Officer has been cleared of wrongdoing, after tweeting a comparison between Captain Cook and COVID-19.
- George Pell bad.
- Universal Basic Income good.
- The Not Good Pod crew are big boardgame nerds (Mitch is a metalhead, Evie is cool).
- Ms. Monopoly is here to save capitalism from the boys.
- Monopoly was originally invented by a woman, Elizabeth Magie, as a teaching tool called the Landlord’s Game, intended to demonstrate that capitalism is miserable.
- The game was pirated by a man and rebranded as Monopoly, who sold the rights to Parker Brothers.
- In Millenial Monopoly, no one can afford property and buy experiences instead.
Unions are good, this Union is bad
- The Shoppies union has fucked over workers again, cutting penalty rates for part time worker.
- The Shoppies union has a long history of screwing over their members.
- Sally McManus, secretary of the ACTU has agreed with Labor Senator Kristina Keneally’s racist anti-immigration stance.
The App is Not Good Enough
- Thanks to open source digging, we know the app is much worse than we originally though.
- Due to poor design, it’s possible for the app to incorrectly tell people they have be diagnosed with Covid.
- According to a dissection of the the app source code, it shows that the app violates open source software licences. Whether it allows you to violate the Geneva Convention, we do not know.
- The government spent $416k over ten days developing the prototype.
- Footballer’s wife Bec Judd is berating people for not downloading the app.
- The Government is marketing the app as if it keeps individual users safe, not as a tool for society-level modeling.
- Retailer Harvey Norman are trying to sell phones off the back of the CovidSafe app. Gerry Harvey has previously called the Coronavirus pandemic an “opportunity”.