We remind you all that the climate still exists, then discuss the government's 'Jobkeeper' stimulus plans, cruise ship crimes and landlord crimes.
The climate is still here
- The airline industry’s push for using 2019-20 as a baseline for emissions targets has backfired.
- NSW has opened up coal mining underneath one of Sydney’s major drinking water reservoirs.
- Despite catastrophic bushfires and a coronavirus crisis the Victorian government has renewed native forest logging agreements.
- Nearly one-in-five of Australia’s big polluters are breaching Australia’s already sub-standard emissions reductions laws.
- In the US, the Environmental Protection Agency has totally stopped enforcement of environmental regulations because of Coranavirus.
- Don’t forget that Flint, Michigan has been without clean drinking water for six years.
- New Orleans has no public school system, and the bodies of killed construction workers on display.
- The Australian government has introduced a “Jobkeeper” payment to keep workers employed by businesses.
- Casual workers who have been employed for less than 12 months cannot receive the payment. These rules will disproportionally affect women and vulnerable people.
- The requirements to be elegible for Centerlink/Jobseeker payments have changed.
- See Episode 6 — Eat the Rich for tales of restaurant industry collapse and wage underpayment.
- The Morrison government is proposing a workplace relations shakeup which will dramatically shift power in the favor of employers at the cost to workers.
- The government’s promises of free childcare may not be as generous as initially promised.
Big business begging
- Michael West and FriendlyJordies have been doing some great investigative journalism and defamatory YouTube videos on the subject, banks hungry for coronavirus bailouts.
- Airlines Virgin and Qantas are begging for a handout, no strings though please.
- Nemesis of the show Energy Minister Angus Taylor failed to disclose free memberships he was given by both airlines.
Plague ships are princesses
- The Ruby Princess cruise accounting for 10% of Australia’s conronavirus infections is now under police investigation.
- The Diamond Princess ship in Japan should have scared people off cruises forever.
- The Coral Princess has arrived in Miami with two people dead of coronavirus. Maybe stear clear of cruises?
- Real estate agents and landlords worried about rental income drying up are demanding to know how much tenants spend on food and advising them to dip into their superannuation.
- Australia’s Securities and Investments Commission have reminded landlords that this is super illegal.
- Don’t forget to write to your MP to demand rent and mortgage freezes. We’ve got an email template you can use.
- Refugees held in immigration detention are being kept in unsanitary conditions — especially dangerous under a pandemic.
- The government has simply ignored a tribunal’s decision to free an unlawfully imprisoned refugee.
- An Aboriginal man held in police custody was “condition deteriorated”.