It's the biggest news week of our lifetime, and we podcast through it. We discuss the government's (mis)handling of the corona situation, then get hopeful about what might come out the other side of this mess.
- Newstart is being doubled, and work for the dole requirements are suspended!
- The U.K. government’s plan to pursue “herd imunity” at the cost of hundreds of thousands of lives has been dropped.
- COVID-19’s incubation period is usually about 5 days, though can be up to 14.
People spouting bullshit
- Venice’s canals may be clean, but don’t forget it’s because thousands of people are dying.
- Former National Party leader Barnaby Joyce said snakes are more of a threat than coronavirus.
- Radio goblin Alan Jones has called Coroanvirus the “health version of global warming” (which means he thinks it’s a hoax, not that we need dramatic action, right now).
- Right-wing commentator Andrew Bolt went from denial to freaking out within a week.
- AFL team president and TV star Eddie McGuire has called for dangerous herd immunity tactics similar to the UK’s abandoned plan.
- Howard-era ghoul Bronwyn Bishop thinks that Coronavirus is a Chinese bioweapon.
People doing good things
- British ex-footballer Gary Neville is making his hotels available for free to health workers.
- Shane Warne is switching his gin distillery (!?) into making pure alcohol for hand sanitiser.
Big money, big problems
- Crown Casino holds a lot of politcal sway in Victoria, which explains the government’s unwillingness to close it until Sunday evening.
- Van Badham defended the regressive tax that are pokie machines as a “working-class habit”.
- The if the government is throwing billions of dollars taxpayer to private industry, we should get something out of that.
- Cartoon villan and vape merchant Simon Breheny says that price gouging is good, actually.
- A lot of economic modeling is based on a spherical cow view of the world.
Bushfires and gas
- The smoke from Australian bushfires killed 400 people, and put 4000 people in hospital, in addition to the 33 people who died in the fires.
- Victoria has banned fracking, but lifted the ban of onshore gas exploration and drilling. Gas is bad, folks.
- Victoria’s Agriculture Minister Jaclyn Symes has declared that gas drilling “will not harm our environment”.
- Drag superstar RuPaul is heavily invested in fracking.
- Moisturise your hands. We’re going to be in this for long run, don’t let your skin fall off!
- Don’t go out! Protect the people around you who need protecting, by not being around them.
- Join a union, and if you feel like your boss isn’t taking your concerns seriously, talk to your co-workers. Chances are they’ve got the same concerns as you.
- Check out Sean Bedlam’s new podcast They’re Gunna Kill Us. Solidaritus et podcastus ✊
- Respect your supermarket workers.